FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AirBerlin does not live up to One World Standard
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:10 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
AB is one of my main airlines, and it does work well on paper, in terms of opening up all sorts of locations that BA don't serve, along with some fairly obscure sectors via DUS or TXL. My recent trips on them in the last 6 months or so include Reykjavik, Kraków, Kalingrad, Skopje and Linz. Indeed my route into the Jersey do is DUS to JER. Some of these are BA codeshares.

But it is indeed a bit of a culture shock, it's not a comfortable experience at all, particularly the seats, and I'd place them below Easyjet in terms of quality of seat / service. I can well recall collapsing into a clapped out BA converter seat, and thinking how wonderful it was compared to a new-ish airberlin A320 that I had just left in DUS. But they can be cheap as well as doing all sorts of interesting routes. You get what you pay for. They are essentially a lowish cost carrier and being Emerald counts for very little. Some of the above have lounge access (e.g. KRK), many did not (e.g. KEF). Excluding the laughable Exklusiver Wartebereich, AB run just one lounge of their own, in terminal C in DUS - with another in Berlin if they ever get round to opening that airport.

US isn't far off AB's standards, by the way!

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 16, 2014 at 11:18 am Reason: lounge extra info