FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific First to New York, & a sombre visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum (CX F)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:11 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
Excellent description of the museum, you captured the reverence very well. Thank you for sharing your emotions with us. I lived in New York when 9/11 happened so I appreciate your kind words and outpouring of feelings.
CMK10 - It's an interesting experience for sure. Perhaps it touches home for those of us that fly on a regular basis. It certainly made me think twice about what was important in life, as I'm sure the event did with you.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Impressing Museum - I will visit on my next NY-trip
Yeah, offerendum. It's among the new realities of museums. It's somewhat similar to the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg. The events are totally different but the circumstances of what they are trying to recount are only a few decades back. It makes the experience seem very intense since there is a of multi media around that recounts it.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Wow, must have been a moving experience, to be at the same spot where the two towers collapsed and so many innocent people lost their lives on that tragic day.

Looks like they have done a great job, both with the memorial and the museum. Very beautiful, touching as well as educational.

Great photo's too, especially of the outside memorial.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

It's a great tourist trap. Talk to families of the victims, first responders and those in/around lower Manhattan during 9/11 and many of them won't go and have serious issues with it.
Thanks for the support DanielW and JVPhoto.

I think the efforts put in by the museum designers, from a tourist's perspective, appear to be well balanced. It's always difficult to strike a neutral perspective when it comes to something like this. I don't doubt that there are those that feel that people are profiting off of this attraction. As JVPhoto accurately points out, visitors need to wade through throngs of conspracy theorists and people selling "the real stories of 9/11" outside of the memorial grounds. I address this by visiting the museum itself, and not paying money to the "independents" who appear to be gaining on an opportunity.

The memorial itself (grounds and pools) is now free. The Museum under the memorial is pay admission.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Very emotional description, I'm planning to come back to NYC for a weekend expressively to visit the museum. 9/11 touched me deeply, I was a kid at that time but I remember everything of that shameful day. Thanks for reporting your experience.
Thanks themalelligroup. I think we can all sadly relate to that morning on that day.