FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU Regulation 261 Complaint
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:59 pm
jm6886

Programs: DL SM
Hello everyone:

I received a reply from US Airways today. As expected, they denied responsibility for paying compensation under EU 261/2004 due to, " performing all necessary maintenance checks and took all steps feasibly viable to prevent a mechanical cancellation or delay." They then offered a $100 voucher and 30,500 dividend miles to compensate me and my family members (i.e. this compensation was for three people not per person).

I wrote back to them stating that while I appreciated the offer, I was still due EU compensation (300 Euro per person due to the mechanically induced delay between 3 and four hours). I mentioned the Sturgeon ruling, as well as the Jet 2 v. Huzar ruling which state mechanical complications do not absolve the carrier from paying.

I just sent that over today. Based on the foregoing, is it likely that they will change course and agree to pay? Or is it more likely I'll have to take it to the authorities to get compensation? If I do have to go to the authorities, should I go straight to a service like money claim or should I go to the UK's aviation authority first?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!