FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:41 am
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
If I made a rookie mistake please go easy on me

I need a bit of advice
I was approved for 100k offer with only a 5k credit line.(hey I was just glad to be approved) Knowing from personal experience that it's almost impossible for citi to move credit around I asked if I could just go over my CL by approx 5k and was given permission.

The account is now paid off but not before I guess it reported to the credit agencies that I went over my limit.

I just got an alert on my phone by my credit monitoring service letting me know of the new account opening as well as in the comments section of said card saying "this account is over the limit!". I am freaking out. What will happen if other lenders see that? Is it really serious? And what will happen if I try to apply for new cards in the future? I don't want lenders to misinterpret that and think that I really did max out my card!
PS I did though successfully get the 100k miles which posted to my AA account recently

Firstly, it's never a good idea to exceed the CL on a brand new card. But, I think you'll be ok.. if you went over the CL, and Citi let the charge go through, and now you've paid it down, then the note that you went over will only be internal. It won't show up on your credit report because they will only report the balance at the close of the billing statement.

Now, will Citi keep a record? Yes, it will most likely show up to the CSR's who are viewing your payment history page. But it will not show up to any non-Citi creditors, like Chase, etc.

I did the same thing with a late payment on one of my new Citi cards. I was traveling and the account was too new to set up a payment before I left. My plan is to just let it age,whilst I make more payments, before I make any more Citi apps, so that the big red "LATE" charge isn't what's at the top of the page.