FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Rental insurance in Italy
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:09 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by slawecki
most credit cards do not cover auto in italy. read your fine print. don't worry about tires. a tire only costs a couple hundred bucks.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credi...car-insurance/
Originally Posted by Family Traveler
Interestingly my Chase visa does cover in Italy but Amex Plat does not so I used my Chase card.

In talking with Kemwel, I learned that their zero deductible insurance is really collision and doesn't cover non-collision damage such as dents and scratches, vandalism, tire and wheel damage, etc. They told me that global insurance is available for 13 euros a day and basically makes the coverage walk away. I also found out that my Chubb auto insurance covers me fully in Italy (though I have $1000 deductibles). I may suck it up and lay out the 13 euros just to have the piece of mind.
Auto insurance is something that keeps coming up. My AA Citi Elite card covers auto insurance in Italy. When I called them a few weeks ago they said I would need a letter from them documenting that I had coverage. The would enable me to decline the coverage offered by the rental company (Avis). When I asked Citi what that would cover they said up to $90,000 medical for me and up to I think about $40,000 damage to the vehicle I would be driving, but would not provide medical coverage to any other person, or cover damages to any other vehicle or property.

To me, what the AA Citi Elite card calls coverage leaves on underinsured. The option then is to choose between a byzantine variety of levels of coverage and deductibles offered by the various italian rental car and insurance agencies. I don't know if there's a single good answer to the question auto insurance in Italy. Since I was driving mostly in Palermo the last few weeks, I chose to pay quite a bit for insurance.