FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAN Business Class experience
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:54 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mickidon
We had our first LAN flight - JFK/LIMA - and were underwhelmed. I was struck by what seemed like a wonderful quality of life for the crew. Within 30 minutes of take off, they were all sitting in the galley, full trays on laps, eating dinner. When I went in later, they were chatting, drinking cups of coffee. This was an overnight flight, so none of this had a big impact, but it wasn't a particularly customer facing group.

I was surprised, when I walked in to the galley to get coffee, that it was instant. The FA said that they don't brew coffee on this flight. Huh, a longish haul in business class?
He put in the powder, mixed it up and handed it to me - no offer to bring it to my seat.
Finally, my IFE system didn't work, but the flight was full, so there was no back up plan.

The whole experience felt a bit below expectations, though maybe my expectations was
my downfall. I wouldn't go out of my way to fly LAN again.
I've never had a LAN flight (since Lan Chile in F) where a FA didn't want me to return to my seat for delivery of a beverage (if requested in the galley). LA F often consisted of a friendly galley chat the crew.

I'm surprised they were too lazy to brew coffee unless it wasn't catered. That said, instant coffee is "state of the art" coffee in much of Latin America, especially for those over a certain age. Some just mix the Nescafe with hot milk (and don't even add water). Barf.

Out of curiosity, what was the service standard (i.e., menu) for your route? Post-departure snack and pre-arrival breakfast? Or just a pre-arrival meal? If the former, was that not even offered?