FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:40 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RockinPete
This hits the nail on the head for me.

Too many people (a lot on here) seem to forget how bad United was most of the past 10 years.
I've not forgotten how bad United was. How many 757s I was allowed to board at SFO that ended up going MX. Broken seats. Missing crews. But United didn't pretend the problems didn't exist. They threw out e-certs like candy and upgrades were frequent, along with DEQM promos. And fares usually reflected the quality of the product.

Perhaps another big difference between United then and now is that, back then, many of us felt empathy for the crew and ground staff. That was much easier to do when we weren't faced with visible and audible evidence of a virtual civil war among current staff.

Back in the day, few demanded that things be a certain way, they just wanted better. Today, the battle is for sCO or sUA to be the winning culture.

Or so it seems.