FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for a Russian Visa
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:56 pm
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by craz
Did they require that you show them your health ins policy? I take it since you were there that sufficed for the mandatory interview? To get the 3yr Visa did you have to provide anything extra besides the extra $$

SPB was nice but as I figured I didnt get everything I wanted in, some due to misinfo given to me at my 1st hotel, what was closed when so I changed my plans only to find out had I kept to it I would have gotten it all in
Did it count as mandatory interview? Not sure. I was applying for my wife and daughter, who were not present.

Health insurance? I had bought a basic travel insurance for the time we go to SPB and was ready to show it, but the interviewer said he didn't want to see it.

Anything extra for the 3-year visa? Not really. I gave them a) the hotel voucher (which actually said "single trip" on it), b) two copies of the questionnaire, and c) two photographs for each person. For some reason I was also asked to give a copy of my Russian passport, even though I was not the one applying and I was requesting a tourist (not homestay) visa for my wife and child. I didn't bring a money order with me, since I was not sure the docs would be accepted, but the interviewer said I could go and get one once he reviews the papers. I was then given helpful information on where to get money orders by the surly looking but pretty efficient security guard, who let me back in without requiring me to stay in line when I returned with money orders 10 minutes later.

Other important detail: when filling out the questionnaire online, make sure you specify that you will be applying at the consulate rather than ILS. Some people showed up with questionnaires intended for ILS, and they were not even allowed into the consulate by the guard.