FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific First to New York, & a sombre visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum (CX F)
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:05 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Your trip report is wonderful. I'm thrilled to have secured seats on JFK-HKG-JFK in CX F next month for very few US DividendMiles and very little $. I can't wait...

...Your meal was forgettable. That's great. So are the vast majority of the meals I eat. The folks who put the plates in front of me still get at least 20% (rounded up, usually). And the folks who I know work hard to remember customers' names, favorite drinks, and life details get 30, 40, or more if it's a small tab. Next time you have a $13 drink, instead of multiplying by 1.12, just leave a $20?
Hope you're looking forward to the CX F experience coming up platbrownguy.

Rants are always welcome. However, I think we have a different perspective on tipping. I'm not looking to short anyone, nor be stingy. But I'm also not in the habit of a 35% tip for a drink either.

The point of the post was to share the experience. A small tip was left. We were called on it. I found being called on it unusual, as did other customers on Trip Advisor. I wasn't aware of the tip amount or directly thinking about it when it happened since my wife paid. Hindsight can be near perfect. Would we have handled the circumstances differently next time? Probably.

Originally Posted by offerendum
I don`t know this place - what is it?

P.S. Great Pictures, really enjoyed them
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think that's Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue.
Thanks offerendum and CMK10.

CMK10's nailed it. It's a food and beverage outlet area in the converted original Nabisco factory near the Highline.

Originally Posted by roastpuff
And I agree - the US tipping culture is just silly and inane. Good service I will usually tip 20%. Bad service I will tip 10% or less. 15% for average service. No more, no less. Tipping is an extra appreciation on the part of the patron - it should not be calculated into the wage of the server, hence that rule in the USA is very stupid and short-sighted on the business owners. Tipping should not be how the majority of your income is made.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I would also say that the ingrained "tipping culture" in the U.S. is really a manifestation of many other differences between the U.S. and other countries, such as tax structures, business practices, and the presence/absence of socialized medicine and other national benefit programs. For better or for worse, the factors at play have driven it to be the case that most of these folks need significant tips to survive. Restaurateurs have written the receipt of such tips into their business models and thus cut employee pay down to accommodate that; the exception to the minimum wage law for tipped employees in fact encourages this. People from other countries with perhaps less wealth disparity and more social welfare programs can look down upon this (and we Americans can be ashamed of it), but it is in fact the case and not likely to change here in the immediate future.

Contrary to what one might potentially infer from this post, my personal sentiments align quite closely with what roastpuff has articulated above. However, taking one's feelings out on the lowest-level first line workers and potentially causing them to starve or lose their home is not generally the best way to effect a policy change. So, like it or not, for the time being, when in NYC, do not do as the Romans do.
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
I do agree in general with your post, if going to the US one should be aware of this specific "tipping-culture-etiquette". One may not agree with this, but nevertheless...
Thanks Frequent_Flyer 1, ariflier and roastpuff.

Valid points by all. There was certainly no vindictiveness towards the wait staff. Frankly, it was probably a decision made late at night that wasn't made with a large amount of thought put into it. I can't articulate the exact thought process since it wasn't entirely mine but I can appreciate the comments of all. Like I said, up thread, it would probably be handled differently next time. However, I also believe that staff shouldn't be challenging their customers.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I am looking forward to seeing your photos of the 9/11 memorial.
Thanks GodAtum, they're coming right up!

Originally Posted by Hvr
The holding pen at YVR is a disappointment and cheapens the journey. Would've loved to have seen the F lounge there but it wasn't to be.

The crews on CX are magnificent and nothing was too much trouble for them. Hope to get to YVR one day and actually see your fine city.
Thanks Hvr

I'd have to agree. That holding pen would greatly cheapen the experience if one was flying in a premium cabin. The lack of access to food and beverage, other than room temperature bottled water, would be my primary concern (washrooms are attached in the secure gate area).