FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:30 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This was a very interesting, well thought out, and well written article. I flew Continental and United a few times in the 90s and 2000s and the merged airline one time since then, but have always been a loyal AA and DL (up until last year) flier.

With a few CO flights in the mid to late 2000s I noticed a huge difference in the quality of the airline between early 2008 and 2010. From about the time CO left Skyteam for *A it began a downward spiral and by the time it merged with UA was a shadow of the industry leading airline it had been.

Like many have said, UA on the other had was almost irrelevant after 9/11. There was no innovation, investment in product, or expansion into new markets and the whole demeanor of the airline seemed stagnant and unconcerned. From what I can see, the only three things United brought into this merger were a Pacific network, international First class, and the United name. I'm still left unsure of why CO went into this merger at all.