FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking Flight the day of Cruise departure
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:37 pm
carnivaltime

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix
We are considering taking either a 3 or 4 day cruise in June 2015 to the Bahamas. We live in Toledo, Ohio and our Floridian departure port would either be Miami or Port Canaveral. A non-stop flight from DTW to either of those ports is 3 hours long, one-way. What are your thoughts/feedback on:

1. Booking the roundtrip flight on our own versus the cruise line doing it for us?

2. If we booked on our own, flying down the morning of cruise departure as long as we caught the 1st flight of the day before 9am EST?
I have been on several cruises to Europe and the Caribbean and I always booked my own flight except once and due to Hurricane Sandy the flight was canceled-therefore I was unable to make the cruise that was leaving out of Long Beach CA. The airfare was refunded to Carnival and they combined it with the cabin fare and held it to be used for my next cruise which i used in the following June. That being said, I usually fly out the morning of the cruise but on the first flight out. 25 of us recently went on a southern caribbean cruisee and we flew into PR. The cruise ship left at 10pm and we had to be on board by 8:30pm. Luckily, we all made it to the ship ontime with most people flying out between 5:45am-8:55am but there was a couple that got into PR at 5:30pm. That was cutting it close especially if there was a delay.