FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting well positioned for a flight to Hawaii
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 am
klepton

Originally Posted by szehui
Do you already have the Chase Hyatt card? The signup bonus is 2 free nights systemwide for $1k within the first three months, so that would free up some more of your SPG points.
Thanks! I did know about that, if my wife and I both get it that could be 4 nights of hyatt stays. I was thinking we'd both get United cards from Chase for this app-o-rama, but we could do Hyatt for the next one this fall or early next year.

Originally Posted by farbster
You might want to reconsider going biz/first. The flight isn't so bad in coach (or Economy +) if you connect. That might save some miles for you.

Also, consider buying some tickets and using points for some. Maybe you could get 3 with points and pay for one?

I think that Hawaii is the goal and not flying first/biz.

Enjoy!
I'm not super picky about first going out there, that's strictly a nice to have. I do want it coming back though so the family can sleep. The HNL-EWR flight, assuming it's the same next year, leaves HNL at night and lands at EWR at noon, it's a 10-ish hour flight. In lie flat seats my kids and wife could probably sleep that entire flight.

Plus, for whatever reason, on United standard economy seats seem to be almost as scarce as saver seats. But there are a plethora of standard business/first seats available. I'm not even sure I could find space in coach.

As for some award tickets and some cash, this sounds like a great option! The main concern I have is it doesn't seem like I'm able to put everything on one reservation. So if there were any issues and we needed to be rebooked that might cause some headaches trying to stay together. Do you know if there are any methods to getting everything on the same reservation? From everything I've seen it doesn't look possible other than just having notes added to each reservation.

Thanks so much for your input!