FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prague or Budapest?
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:00 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jaymar01
I think you're getting some awful advice about Bratislava. While, I love travelling in Slovakia, Bratislava is not worth the time or effort. It's an industrial city, whose primary selling point is it's located between Vienna and Budapest. If you want to build side trip into your itinerary, stop in Salzburg or visit Ceske Budejovice in the Czech Republic.
Salzburg is definitely more interesting than Bratislava and CB is better too; but I still found Bratislava's old town and history interesting enough for a day or even for two nights. [The cheap award nights using Club Carlson points makes staying in Bratislava for a night or two a very good deal relative to staying elsewhere -- and it has lots of cruise/tour bus traffic in the summer from people who are visiting it for reasons that aren't limited to its proximity to Vienna.]

If I were the OP, bratislava works out well enough given there are well timed trains at least every two hours from Prague to Bratislava (with a c 4 hour trip time) and 1-2 trains an hour from Bratislava to Vienna (with a c 1 hour trip time). Given how Bratislava is a cheaper place to stay and to drink/eat and it's old town has a charm of its own, I wouldn't rule it out on a trip that covers Prague and Vienna.