FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Location, Location, Location!
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:49 am
idaud

Location, Location, Location!

Specific location recommendation required for a 3 night stay in Singapore where I can walk out of my hotel reception any time of the day or night and be amongst tourists and locals alike without the need to jump in a taxi or MRT. My preference would be for restaurants, cafes, dessert places to be on my door step. Of course I do and will plan to venture further than that but it's also nice to be at the centre if at all possible especially since we are travelling with two young children and therefore if I feel like taking a walk, there is some life and things going on as I just take a walk around the block at 11pm. We will be staying over a weekend so that should be possible I hope..I'm a foodie as well and so to the extent that there are great street food places around that would be an added bonus albeit I don't mind travelling for the right food/dishes..

On a previous trip to Singapore (15 years ago!), we stayed at the Marriott on Orchard Rd and I remember that being well located but I'm not sure if that was a bit too shopping orientated rather than restaurant/cafe culture which would be the preference. I do remember there being a Haagan Dazs cafe right outside the hotel which was great...

This time around we will stay at a 5 star hotel fortunately - thinking Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Fullerton Bay, Shangri La - but on a quick check, none of these seem to fit my location bill exactly. I have also heard about the new Sofitel (mixed reviews on service) and the Park Royal on Pickering but don;t know how these score on location. I'm also conscious that we didn't really do the Marina area last time and so don't know if I'm missing out or whether I should give that area a go this time around and whether it also fits my bill...

Would love some specific responses to my query firstly focused on the location - (note I don't necessarily want bars and pubs outside the door but more cafes, restaurants and people watching opportunities).

Once I've pinpointed location, I can think about which luxury 5 star hotels to marry with that.

Thanks