FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight Delayed - then CANCELED!
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:35 pm
vincewy

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
According to the inforrmation to the left of your post under your username, DTW seems to be your home airport.

In case you haven't already noticed, DTW *is* an international gateway airport. Instead of flying DL to BOS, JFK, etc., why not take a nonstop from DTW? In addition to DL nonstop flights to LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, NRT, PVG, PEK etc. there should be LH to FRA and KE to ICN IIRC and probably others I'm forgetting to list.
FYI, when I fly overseas, why choose UA/DL/AA when TK offers generous tier threshold, great food, large Premium Economy seats and more? I'm willing to go out of the way to get better products for such long flights. Now with my membership tier I get upgrade vouchers too.

Flying just domestic, UA is fine since delays and cancellations won't ruin my trips overseas, so far 40% of UA flights I have taken were either cancelled and/or delayed and I'm not even talking about UX at this point.

Regarding UA/UX connecting LH/SK/LX/OS/NZ flights through major US airports, I never understand why they only offer 1.5 to 3 hours connections under 1 ticket from domestic to international with changes of terminals at those major airports. When I was purchasing SK tickets, they didn't even offer longer connections, just 1.5 to 2 hours through EWR, ORD or IAD, ouch!

I would've preferred at least some options with 5-hour layovers, which seems to be the sweet spot for me now (enough time for me to relax at lounges/food courts and not to get stressed about delays/missed connections, quick enough for me not to waste more time at airports or even having to stay at hotels).

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 7, 2014 at 8:53 pm