FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:29 am
pandaperth

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by sperkins921
So wait, I *would* make Platinum by adding in my already planned short haul down to FL (BDL-MCO-BDL or BOS-MCO-BOS)?
Yes

I thought I had understood this EQM thing, but I was still way off but it now makes sense the way you posted it here.

So basically, my short haul down to Florida in cheapest econ on AA or USAir would net me:

YES - 2106 redeemable miles (1303 miles RTbut no class bonus - it's 2106 return)
YES - 2106 Elite Qualifying miles (same as above but no bonus b/c cheap econ)
NO - 3159 Elite Qualifying points (.5 bonus to the cheap econ) - the 0.5 EQP is a multiplier not a bonus, so 0.5*2106EQM = 1053EQP

YES - And I would thus be Platinum???
So two additional questions:

I got conflicting miles based on which calculator I used, one for instance quotes 6530 miles for my TA long haul, the other 6514. How do I know which is right?
The right one is the one that AA uses.
But in my experience gcmap.com always comes out pretty close

I see everywhere that you can not use a challenge to re-qualify for your status. Is that to mean that you can't repeat a challenge while your status is still active to keep it OR does that mean once you've fallen back to whatever lower status you can not do another challenge to once again get platinum or gold?
You have to fall back before you can re-challenge

And let's say I make platinum now, does that give me now 14-20 months (per the above sticky) to work on *keeping* platinum?
No. You will have all of calendar 2015 to work on keeping platinum.
Just like all the rest of us
If you don't achieve it, then on March 1st 2016 your status will drop