FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:06 am
sperkins921

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I was just about to post that you're misunderstanding EQ Points and EQ Miles
And you still are...

So BOS-LHR-BOS flying BA in Premium Economy (T class) is 6,530 miles and will earn you:
  • 7183 Redeemable Miles (which you can use for reward flights etc) - this is the flown miles of 6,530 plus the 10% bonus for T class
  • 6530 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)
  • 9795 Elite Qualifying Points (1.5 times the EQM because it's T class)

So by the end of that trip you will be very close to the 10,000 EQP needed for the platinum challenge
So wait, I *would* make Platinum by adding in my already planned short haul down to FL (BDL-MCO-BDL or BOS-MCO-BOS)?

I thought I had understood this EQM thing, but I was still way off but it now makes sense the way you posted it here.

So basically, my short haul down to Florida in cheapest econ on AA or USAir would net me:

2106 redeemable miles (1303 miles RT but no class bonus)
2106 Elite Qualifying miles (same as above but no bonus b/c cheap econ)
3159 Elite Qualifying points (.5 bonus to the cheap econ)

And I would thus be Platinum???

So two additional questions:

I got conflicting miles based on which calculator I used, one for instance quotes 6530 miles for my TA long haul, the other 6514. How do I know which is right?

I see everywhere that you can not use a challenge to re-qualify for your status. Is that to mean that you can't repeat a challenge while your status is still active to keep it OR does that mean once you've fallen back to whatever lower status you can not do another challenge to once again get platinum or gold?

And let's say I make platinum now, does that give me now 14-20 months (per the above sticky) to work on *keeping* platinum?