FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA Release New International Awards Over Time?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:16 pm
QueenOfCoach

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by knick1959
Hi,

I've seen the award availability on domestic flights change mutiple times a week, on occassion, but the international flight I am watching doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I've acquired one flight from CLE to LIM (Business class) in April of next year on SAVER points. I need a second, and I've been watching every day to see if availabilty chances. Even looking at the 2 segments individually. Nothing so far.

I do have enough for a "Anytime" ticket in waiting, in case I never do see the Saver award I want come up. My questions are of feasibility and timing.

Am I being too optimistic that a new Business Saver award might pop up in the 9 months up to my desired flight? Are the chances non-existent, slim or good? If there is a chance, when might it show up (I'm assuming much closer to departure date)?

If there is a chance that a new Bus Saver award might pop up, what's safe for waiting before I just blow 65k on an Anytime award? I've checked flights a week or 2 out and they don't seem to be full. However, not getting my wife on the flight with me might be bad for my health .

Thanks in advance.
No one can offer you a 100% guaranteed "guess" as to if or when another seat might become available. After all, the whole frequent flyer mile program was designed to fill seats that would have otherwise been empty with frequent flyers as a reward for their loyalty.

You can guess, estimate, consult an Ouiji board or what have you but no one can tell you what will be available on a specific flight on a specific date. That might be the date the some giant corporation flies their vice presidents in for a special sales meeting, taking up all the Business Class seats with paid tickets. The day before and the day after could fly with empty seats and unfilled award availability.

If you can be happy ending up in Coach (and it's not that bad), then just put yourself on a wait list for the upgrade. If you really really want that seat, then spend the extra miles/dollars and get a confirmed reservation now, then save yourself time and anguish.