FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA Release New International Awards Over Time?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:42 am
knick1959

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Remember, though, that with the new system of multi-tiered AAnytime awards, 65K is a base amount. It could end up being 90K or more, depending on supply and demand, and that could fluctuate between now and your desired departure date.
Yikes. I'm screwed if the price goes up. I did a little MS to get my miles just barely over 65k. I wasn't planning on adding, and I certainly would have problems reaching 90k, particularly in a hurry. With Saver awards, I have Alaska and BA miles that would be usable.

So. Let's say I would buy a 65K Anytime ticket today. Then, perhaps 6 months from now a saver award pops up and I can snag this with BA Avios (or Alaska miles). What is the cost to me to cancel the AA ticket and redeposit those miles? Is this a good strategy?

One of the other "drawbacks" of the AAnytime ticket is that it is true Business/First on the segment from CLE to DFW. My BA already-acquired flight has this segment in coach. I suppose I could let my wife fly in luxury for those couple hours, while I fly cramped, but a Saver award might tend to even things out .

You know, I posted a variant of this question on milepoint months ago and got nothing usable. It's nice to see that people ARE actually helpful. Thanks again to all who have replied!