FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:15 am
maverick17

Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
I'm reevaluating my strategy and would value any input offered.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Reply: Award Access is primary. But also ability to get miles from a CC program.

Here is where I'm at - for the most part I pay for tickets for biz and use awards for personal travel. I get most of my miles/points through CCs from my biz.

However, in the last year it seems like premium award availability is going the way of the dodo. The last trip I booked for Switzerland I had to look almost daily for a couple months to even find Biz Class tickets. We had plans way out there, so I was able to start looking at the max time out and finally booked shortly before the devaluation went into effect. I don't think I ever saw a Saver Award First, except maybe through some out of the way 2-hop routing (and of course it was mixed cabin because the first and last legs were regional or short hops).

I've been flying a lot of US mostly because they have a great BDL-CLT presence (my father lives in CLT and we have several business connections in the area). Also, I have a Barclay US CC that allows you to get reward tickets with a 5k mile discount. Not sure what's happening with the AA merger, but I recently got a Citi-AA CC so that at least I've got something prepared.

So, hope I said enough but not too much... Any words from the wise?
Hi dnwaldmann,

If I understand right, you don't earn too many miles flying. But you do want those miles earned flying to match up with your CC earning and give you good options for trips to Europe.

In terms of availability, I still think UA has the most options. Star Alliance is literally just bigger and has more seats available. Having been on FT awhile, are you pretty adept at searching awards and booking them?

Using AA/US on awards to Europe isn't my specialty, but it seems tougher. BA of course has fuel surcharges going through the UK. Air Berlin usually has good Y availability and no charges, but I don't know anything about their J (do they have one)? So your best choice on redeeming might be the AA or US flights TATL.

Given your location and needs, and the unique combo of flying for necessity but booking awards off of CC earn, I'd actually keep two programs separate.

I'd stick with AA/US for the paid tickets. There are lots of CCs for AA as well, so I'd get one for those tickets and mostly just build that balance slower buying those tickets. You fly in F so you don't need the status or benefits. And AA/US will give you the good direct flights you want, as long as they don't start switching to regional jets. Then on the other hand, for your expensive (in miles) award tickets in J to Europe, I'd focus the vast majority of your CC spend on United still (or on Ultimate Rewards, which can transfer to United).

One other option would be the Lufthansa card. If you spend enough to rack up some LH miles, maybe they have award access to LX, or at least better LH access? I'm not sure of this, but it's worth reading up on.