FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:40 am
maverick17

Originally Posted by gloriamg1
1. Most important for f2f
Have to say availability of international flights and upgrades.
2. HOW many miles do I fly each year.
I would say at least one international flight 10000 to 25000
3. Class if international over 6 hours Premium Economy or better.
4. I travel for pleasure.
5. Flights to Canada and NC are most frequent routes.
6. I usually fly out of FLL or MIA for most international.
7. VA 15,000
Qantas 29,000. ALSO have Am Ex to transfer
8. I love Virgin partly because of upgrades through F2F and comfort- but hard to connectt To the rest of Europe.

I'm still trying to have the hang of using Fprequent flyer programs. I do know that it is much easier during Spring. Not sure what to do with my Qantas points.
Any thoughts?
Hi Gloria,

Being in MIA with Qantas in Oneworld, I'd think you could try to use them on AA flights, but I don't know the mileage chart. Maybe the Caribbean or domestic US flights is probably all you can get out of them.

First of all, with estimated less than 25k a year of flying, there's not really a way to get status and the upgrades that come with it. If you're gonna be over 25k, you might get a low status, but then upgrades are still pretty rare. The benefit at 25k would probably be not an upgrade to First or Biz, but you could get premium economy for free, which you do mention.

So convenience would say that AA is a good choice for flying out of your locale and to NC where US is becoming AA. AA should have many int'l options from MIA to Europe and South America, and one stop to Asia. Oneworld is smaller than * alliance though, so if that is very important as you mention availability of int'l flights, might be worth considering UA. UA with low status though only allows premium economy to be booked like 24 hours before departure, if I recall, so that's a bummer. I'd go for AA.