FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:58 pm
jerryhung

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Still relatively new to the world of churn, wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? Goal is to generate miles for Aeroplan Mini-RTW travel and/or to upgrade Cathay tickets on transpac flights.

Currently have the following (all Canadian).

- Amex Plat (used whenever possible) - got in Nov 2013
- Amex Gold (not used) - Got in April 2014
- TD Visa Infinite First Class (daily use - for places that don't take Amex) - had for years.

Income is about $80K, credit is in good shape.

Current plans are:

- Keep the Amex Plat until just before it renews, as it earns MR faster than the Gold based on my spending patterns.

- Drop the Amex Gold so I can churn it in December

- Transition the TD Infinite to the TD Aeroplan Infinite.

Questions:

- Am I better off dropping the Plat now, and keeping the Gold? Not sure if I'd churn the Plat based on the high fees and disappearing Cathay status, but if I renewed in December, use the 2014 and 2015 travel credits, it's basically buying 60,000 MR and hotel status for $299.

- Any reason not to switch TD cards?

- If I cancel either Amex card now, can I even churn it in December?

- Any other products I'm overlooking?

Thanks folks!
I'm surprised you didn't get the AMEX Aeroplan Gold yet? 30K Aeroplan, FYF, with a referral link signup

As for other 2 AMEX cards, I think only you know the answer to which AMEX to cancel and churn after 6 months

Just make sure you CAN use up the 2014 $200 if you cancel AMEX Plat and sign up again. I'd simply wait till 2015 to re-apply

As for TD, is your TD FC free (with All-inclusive $5K minimum account)? Mine is so I keep it forever for ExpediaForTD 4.5% return
I simply applied for a new TD Aeroplan Infinite (15K, FYF, 2-for-1 short-haul)

Don't think there are other hot CC deals around as most offers have died (BMO/CIBC/TD/AMEX Biz Gold)