FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longest flights in RJ
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:35 pm
sholnay

Originally Posted by schley
Did a search for this as I know I have seen a thread in the past, but oh well somebody can tell me how they found it later.

Ord-Mia
3 hours 1 minute
1379 miles
NO mainline going this day at all... haven't flown it before but damn.....
I was flying the RJ-145 DFW-CLE route every week for a few months (they've killed the viable business times for that route since), it's 1022 miles each way (2-3hrs, I have no idea why it was sometimes 3hrs and I think even once or twice it was 1:55 - I guess jet stream changes it that drastically).

Worst experience was one flight from CLE-DFW when ATC halted all flights in to DFW due to T-storms. We circled for an hour and then diverted to OKC. 4.5 hrs on the aircraft by this point. We then didn't have a gate at OKC for an hour (5.5hrs in our seats). We finally got a gate but were told we could NOT exit the plane (our FA told us we could exit then the gate agent came on the speaker and said, in a VERY abrupt and angry tone that if we left the plane we were abandoning our trip - gee thanks). I started timing it once we landed just in case we breached the 3hr tarmac rule, we ended up spending about 1.75hrs on the tarmac/gate while United ran around with their heads cut off on what to do with us. Total aircraft time from gate to gate (in OKC) was 6 hours and some change. I'm a tall man, 6'4, those seats were the worst, and I can't even get relief when standing on that damn plane (I have to hunch over quite a bit). I was also up front, with the single bathroom in the back, nearly impossible to reach since everyone else was standing. As much as I don't miss that damn plane, I loved the route timing, it got me home nice and early every week compared to every other carrier. Oh well. (edit: adding the obligatory, "got me home early - when it wasn't delayed" but in reality, every us domestic carrier has schedule issues, AA is just as bad even with brand new equipment).

Last edited by sholnay; Jun 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm