FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:48 pm
bethwl

Programs: AA, United, Delta
considering switching AA to UA

I have been most loyal to AA since 1996, but am considering switching to UA. My father flies UA for international business frequently and has over a million miles; if I switch I will see if he is able to gift me at least the minimum status or higher, otherwise I'm not much inclined to switch. Reasons to consider switching are I'm seeing UA flights cheaper on some routes I check with regularity lately, as well as better flight times. For example, need to fly to Asia next month (ORD-HKG-PVG-ORD, OR ORD-HKG round-trip, or ORD-HKG-CAN-ORD would all work fine), and consistently seeing UA fares for this several hundred bucks cheaper than AA. But haven't flown UA in a long time and last time I did to HKG, plane was fairly crappy.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Reply: One free checked bag domestically is a must (but achievable via many methods I know). Then, in order, competitive fares, priority check-in/bag drop lines, priority boarding, award redemption, lounge access.

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 25K-50K. In AA always make Gold, occasionally make Platinum. More miles than segments.

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: 90% business/10% personal

5. Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: either domestic or Asia; always to LAS once per year, usually NYC at least once, HKG or CAN at least 1x per year. Future likely regular trips include DUS or CGN or FRA; London, Paris.

6. What is your home airport?
Reply: ORD

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: AA Gold current, AA Platinum previous year, current AA balance about 75K, AA Million Miler balance 275K

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
AA for Main Cabin Extra seating domestically; Cathay for Asia--but these are because of the additional leg room and for Cathay because of personal video screens, which is huge for passing time on a 15-hour flight

Flew US Air to PDX via PHX earlier this month and thought US Airways plane was crappy compared to most AA planes.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated, thanks!