FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:05 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Regarding changing an offline PIN:

JEFFJAGUAR seems to imply a few pages above that USAA is moving away from offline PIN. If so, then once you get a replacement card, PIN changing won't be an issue, if your only offline card is currently from USAA.

But anyway, it apparently can be done at any EMV-enabled ATM. Someone with the Diners Club US chip & offline PIN card was given a procedure by issuer BMO for (a) calling BMO, then (b) within 12 hours using an EMV-enabled ATM. But I haven't tried myself, and haven't needed to try myself (I happened to find my one offline PIN easy to memorize, so I'm just leaving it as is).

And, btw, "any EMV-enabled ATM" doesn't even necesarrily mean a bank's own ATM. It might also be possible at third-party (non-bank) ATMs as long as they're EMV-enabled. (It may, however, need to be on the same network that your card uses.)

The reason it needs to be done at an EMV-enabled ATM is because the changing of the PIN requires writing to the chip, and only an EMV-enabled ATM has the hardware/software necessary to be able to write a new PIN to the chip on your card.
This is not guess work on my part of just an implication. If you go to the USAA faq regarding credit cards, they make it very clear you can change your pin online and I did. That 100% demonstrates that on the cards they are issuing now, the pin is online.