FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:36 pm
Camarones

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
One more data point..

I've previously used the free international data feature in Taiwan and Europe with good (albeit slow) results. This past week I went to Vancouver, BC with two devices:

Nexus 5 (from Google Play store, not T-mobile) : Business version of Simple Choice plan + Data w/ Hotspot (BIZ Classic UNL T&T + BIZ Unl & 3GB SMHS). Connected up to the network very quickly on Rogers. EDGE-like data speeds but sufficient for mapping and browsing. Tethering did not work.

Nexus 7 2013 (from Google Play store, not T-mobile) : Business version of Simple Choice data-only plan (BIZ CLS MI 1GB). Took nearly an hour to initially register to a network and when it did it chose Wind. Device data worked at about EDGE speeds. Tethering did work but was too slow to use VPN+RDP in any meaningful way.

Not sure why a T-mo Voice + Data SIM would connect to Rogers but a Data only sim would connect to Wind.

I needed to get some work done so I ended up purchasing a prepaid Telus SIM w/ 1Gb data for the tablet and for tethering, for about $50. Had to go to a corporate store to get it. The Nexus 7 2013 LTE connected to the Telus LTE network (as reported by the tablet) without issue. I did not have a chance to benchmark it but it was fast.

Last edited by Camarones; Jun 23, 2014 at 5:09 pm