FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do they always start with Bud Light?
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:48 pm
BamaVol
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Hey, I'm a beer snob, too, but I have enough common sense to understand why servers do that.

They may be wasting your time, but the fact remains that Bud Lite is the top selling beer in the US, followed by Coors Lite, Bud, Miller Lite, Corona, Natural Lite, Busch Lite and Heineken. So apparently there are people who ask about beers and opt for a Bud Lite. Why don't you just ask the server what craft beers they have on top? Or ask them to skip the Bud, Miller, Coors and Busch products?

When you're put in charge of training servers worldwide, why don't you time the average length of the customer-server drink interaction when the server lists the best-selling beers first vs. the worst-selling beers first? And then see how long it takes your servers to quit/get you fired when you suggest they dramatically increase the average interaction time by taking longer than necessary to give the customer what he/she wants.

PS: That's why I love beer lists, but hate restaurants that keep them out of date. A few bars/restaurants in Chicago have started listing the "Next to be tapped" items and rubber stamping "sold out" over ones that are done. Keeps them from having to reprint the list frequently and reduces the amount of time a server has to spend taking drink orders.
It's a rant, okay? I'm allowed to emotional and irrational (beer brings out both in me). I wish more bars had beer lists - separate from food menus because the beers change more frequently than the food.

All right, next time I'll remember to start with, "What's on tap that isn't Bud Light or something just like it?"

Oh. <rant on> I also hate servers that don't drink. My favorite local restaurant features 65 beers on tap and every server wears a t-shirt that says "Beer snob" on the reverse and they back it up with real knowledge and experience. And the food there is good too. <rant off>