FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:50 pm
Lovecraft

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
Originally Posted by wco81
I visited in 2006 and would love to go again but with talk of default, you have to wonder if that leads to instability.

Went on a tour of San Telmo or La Boca during the day. Guide warned not to come at night. But even in broad daylight, there were soldiers or police with automatic rifles posted in various areas.

When 40% of the population in the metropolitan area is living in poverty, stresses like a default may lead to widespread strife.

That's mainly what I'm wondering about.
I just came back from Buenos Aires after an 18 days stay. I have to say I haven't felt unsafe at any time, I mainly was at the Palermo area, with some short visits to Puerto Madero and San Telmo; and also other areas, as far as La Plata, but mainly to visit family & friends so not really walking the streets over there.

My wife, on the other hand, spent a lot of time in Quilmes with her mom, (a city 20km south of Buenos Aires, in the GBA area), and she witnessed an incident involving fire shots, fortunately not affecting her or her mom. But I guess no tourist would go to Quilmes, there's nothing to see there.