FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:25 am
Gaucho100K
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wco81
So are people taking a lot of USD to exchange with what, private parties who really want dollars and are willing to pay more than the official exchange rate?

As Argentina's fiscal situation deteriorates, could security for tourists, whether they're carrying a lot of cash to exchange or not, become a problem?

Seeing fares during Thanksgiving week drop in the last couple of days, wondering if it's tied to the uncertainty over the country's fiscal situation.
Visitors that want to take advantage of the dual exchange markets do indeed bring down cash, or else use a solution like (or similar to) Xoom. You can trade on the street, or with someone that wants dollars... there is no one way to do this, there are various options and all have their pros and cons. Please read through this and the other threads on this forum to be able to make an informed decision.

Security has not gotten any worse over the past 12 months. Buenos Aires is not as safe as it once was, but its still nothing to be overly concerned about if you take basic precautions and use common sense. If you bring cash down, you don't have to walk around with it all the time, you keep some in the safe at your hotel and carry around only what you need. Again, basic common sense applies.

The term "fiscal situation" is quite a broad concept, and I don't want to turn this into a technical economics thread. As you surely know, airfares are pretty much demand and supply, I don't think they are seriously linked to Argentina's "fiscal situation". If you find good fares, I suggest you jump on them, plan your trip by reading a lot and asking all your questions.... and come down and enjoy yourself..... there isn't much you and I can do about the fiscal situation of any country, don't let that get in between you and a nice vacation.

Please feel free to come back and ask more questions, or start a new thread with what you need to know more about.... Im sure the other regular forum posters will be happy to join me in helping you plan your trip down to EZE.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K