FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:18 am
true1976

Programs: Thai Royal Orchid Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by ureba
Another impact of the decision to devalue ROP points is on credit cards linked to ROP loyalty schemes. For example, I have a Thai Platinum AMEX card which gives 1 ROP mile per 20-25 THB spent.

This effectively also devalues points earned on my AMEX card by the same amount 50-100%, if converted to ROP points and used for TG air awards.

Will AMEX and other similar loyalty schemes linked to ROP need to respond by lowering the amount spent for points, to avoid customers walking to cards which (now) have more attractive benefits? There are many credit cards in Thailand and it will be interesting to see how this plays out......
I did call Citibank (I am Citigold and have the ROP Preferred with them). I had the chance to talk to a "supervisor" and it seems that they were as surprised as we were all of the devaluation. He told me they are actually talking about what to do now as they acknowledged that their points are now 50% less value.

I also use Standard Chartered and can move my points to SQ but is it really better? They also have the silly "surcharges" and less seats available. Also no direct flight to anywhere....

Any idea if there is any credit card in Thailand allowing you to transfer points to UA, Swiss, Qatar, Emirates etc...?

Thanks, still shocked by this silly change,

GJ