FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New upgrade award on Thai and devaluation
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:28 am
A_Lee

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
AALee, I cannot fully agree to your statement:
the hotel vouchers which you mention are not so bad - while I prefer chasing for miles to use them for upgrades (even though now more expensive, but they still work), my friends are using them for hotel vouchers (and have never complained).
Also the new introduction of oneway award tickets is not only bad (because they do now cost the same as a return ticket used to cost) but a fairer way for those who want/need them (not everybody likes flying back and forth the same routing/airline....)
Ok, for someone who does find value in hotel vouchers (which I don't personally), this move would seem to be a positive, assuming they don't change the number of miles for hotel awards. Reason being members will be earning more miles for the same flights, so the net cost for hotel vouchers is reduced, and reduced by a lot if flying premium class. Ok, I'll admit, I did redeem my last remaining ROP miles for some hotel vouchers, but only as a last resort to avoid my miles from expiring without being used. I still need to book a hotel with them, and don't really consider them to be a good value, but better than not using the miles. For someone not interested in using miles for flights, I guess this recent move isn't all that bad, but I imagine those kinds of people aren't many among the ROP membership.