FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break in Australia & Russia (CX F, SQ Suites, QF A380 F, BA F, LH F & OZ F)
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:20 pm
tng11

Qantas First Class Melbourne to Dubai (Part 3: Bedtime and Snacktime)

Feeling absolutely lethargic after my second full-course meal in 8 hours, it was time for bed, which was promptly attended to.

2014-04-28 20.32.16 by jurastudent, on Flickr

I love having two pillows. The main one was large and puffy enough to remind me of home, while the second one was good for hugging (I have a strange habit of hugging a toy or pillow while sleeping - guess I never really grew up! )

2014-04-28 20.32.33 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Before falling asleep, I decided to do some catching up on movies and watched "The Wolf of Wall Street." Many of my close friends are investment bankers, so I got a good kick out of it (and probably laughed out too loud a few times.) In general, I liked the entertainment selection of QF a lot. The English selections were extensive and approaching those of CX or SQ.

But of course, I had to watch another episode of the drivel known as TAAHM

2014-04-29 04.11.24 by jurastudent, on Flickr

I conked out for a good 6 hours before waking up, somewhat peckish again.

The bedding was very comfortable - the mattress was soft and well padded, the pillows nice and fluffy and the duvet not too thick. The bed was also wide and long enough for me to move around comfortably. In terms of comfort, this beat every other F product I've tried up to date (it would probably beat SQ R if I only had a single bed!) I also normally have problems sleeping on planes as I just can't stand the excessive background noise - hence my affection for the A380. It was just the right amount of noise for my to comfortably fall asleep consistently.

2014-04-29 04.40.03 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Supper (really, an on-demand menu for mid-flight snacks.) Good selection!

2014-04-28 16.53.13 by jurastudent, on Flickr

The attendant, on seeing that I woke up, asked if I needed anything. He read my mind correctly, and I ordered the steak sandwich and seasonal fruit platter. The table was set and the sandwich was brought to me rather quickly.

The steak sandwich was awesome! The bread was soft and moist and the steak was also done just right (not chewy at all,) with a good kick from the chilli relish. It was so good I was tempted to order another one! ^

2014-04-29 04.11.38 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Seasonal fruit plate. Meh.

2014-04-29 04.18.58 by jurastudent, on Flickr

About 30 minutes from DXB, I had my bed turned back into a seat. Eventually, we were caught in a holding pattern in the approach to Dubai. The cabin crew gave us a warning about buying liquids in Dubai if we were continuing to London, etc etc etc (the announcements were at times, too long and too loud!)

On approach into DXB:

2014-04-29 05.45.47 by jurastudent, on Flickr

All in all, this was a good flight. Definitely not flawless like my flight in SQ Suites. The service was a mixed bag, but the hard product was very good. The seat was comfortable for lounging and sitting upright and the bed was top notch. The food was also excellent. For those two reasons, I still think Qantas has an amazing First product overall, especially when you consider the lounges.