FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing return flight booked on Expedia
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:06 pm
lkj2345

Changing return flight booked on Expedia

I recently booked a trip to Thailand for 12 days. I was initially wanting to book a longer trip, but my wife had something she had to be back for at work. We just found out that her meetings had been rescheduled to a later date. So, we were wanting to extend the vacation a few days.

We booked the flight through Expedia. I called Expedia and explained the situation and asked about changing the return date. They did some checking and said there would be no change fee, just a fare difference that would be owed. They quoted me at the time and the fare difference was going to be about an $800 difference for each ticket - $1600 total. This is from moving the flight from a Tuesday 7/8 to Thursday 7/10. This seemed really high to me, but maybe it is normal?

What I was wondering is if it would be cheaper to wait until after the departure to change the return date? That way the whole fare wouldn't be changing, just the return portion. If anyone has any experience with this or advice, I'd appreciate it.