FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:44 pm
drnp

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Just finished a 5-night award stay here. Redeemed 80K pts for 5 nights in an Executive Suite for family of 4.
Assigned room 1302 (Building 1, 3rd floor), with nice view of pool. Check-in was easy and agent was very friendly. Room was ready even though we got there before noon.
Room had a large living room with full bathroom to the right of main entry. Bedroom was attached with King bed, but no en suite bathroom. (So just the one full bathroom in the suite, and its in the living room). Didn't like that layout. Gotta admit, I don't think I've ever staying in a room without the bedroom having a bathroom attached. The bathroom only had a single vanity. Couch in living room was a fold out. Good enough for 2 kids, but mattress was very saggy and wouldn't think it would be comfortable for an adult. Rest of furniture was nice and well kept. Decor was modern. The TVs were standard, though they only had CNBC World, not the regular CNBC. May not be a big deal for some, but again, can't remember being in a hotel room where I didn't get CNBC.

Location is nice. Directly attached to Legoland via a 5 min walk. Valets are more than happy to take you down in a golf cart and bring you up if you specify a pickup time. Plenty of retail and family friendly restaurants within 2 mile radius.
About a 30 min drive to Seaworld, and it took us just under an hour to get to Disneyland (using HOV lane, otherwise tack on an extra 30 mins).

Housekeeping/Room service needed some work. We constantly had to call down to housekeeping for things. Sometimes they only gave us 2 sets of towels instead of 4, shower gel wasn't replaced at all, etc. We tried room service once for breakfast and they forgot one entree and didn't bring enough silverware for the number of entrees we ordered. They were also 7 mins later than the latest time on our requested time interval. Cost for 3 entrees was $70.
The only day I got a paper delivered to my room was on my last day, not sure why that was.

Pool was nice. The depth goes from 3-5 ft. There is also a large hot tub with depth of 3.5 ft. Great views of the hills and nicely surrounded by palm trees.
On Sunday there was a waitress taking drink and food orders poolside, but on Tuesday we never saw one during the 3 hrs we were there.

Resort fee is $14/day, Self parking is $12/day, Valet $18/day. There is an underground parking garage that is self park. It is convenient to the rooms, but fills up rather quickly. If you don't get a spot there and you still want to self park you have to park across from the main entrance and walk a bit further to get to your room.

Overall nice property. If you want to do Legoland and Seaworld, its very functional. Also good if you want a place that allows you to relax by a nice pool.