FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:04 pm
Speedracer2

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps, but CO (now UA) flies to NRT, PEK, PVG and HKG from Newark. AA has planes that can do that kind of distance (its 772s).

Additionally, JFK sees CX to HKG, JAL to NRT (double daily now that AA isn't flying JFK-NRT), DL to NRT and a few Chinese carriers at JFK.

More than six years ago, Doug Parker predicted success with PHL-PEK, and the DoT believed in him enough to award US that frequency. What's changed?

Of course, US said it would go out and acquire suitable aircraft for the route, which it failed to do.

From the western half of the country, SEA is an ideal gateway to Asia - I predict that DL will see some success.

I earlier predicted failure for the new DFW flights to PVG and HKG. Just too far and not enough O&D. I may be completely wrong about that.
Yes AA has aircraft that can go the distance, but the question is whether or not it would be profitable. Im sure it's a complicated equation to figure out profitable routes considering distance, fuel cost, weight, OD vs connecting traffic, cargo, premium passengers, landing slots, landing costs, aircraft types, competition, etc. etc.

I agree with you on the probable success of Delta's new SEA hub and AA failure on DFW to PVG and HKG although the 787 deliveries might help AA compete? As far as the western US to Asia market, I think AA will struggle other than perhaps for the southwest.