FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6/8-6/14 Office Depot buy $150 of Amex Gift cards get $15 back
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:27 am
cdancer20

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by floressalicis
It's obvious YMMV by cashier, but yes, you can swipe multiple cards to cover the total cost of a transaction in CVS. There is some limit to the number of cards...it's something like 6 or 7. Higher than Walmart's swipe limit.
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
You do get 7 at CVS, but driver's license swipe counts against the total (not relevant here where you are only buying one $500 card at a time). I've already liquidated a lot of these at RA, so you get at least 6 swipes there.
Originally Posted by Lemma
My experience has not been that the DL counts as one of your 7 swipes. I have not tried to do 8 swipes without a DL scan, but I have often done 7 with one. Also, the CVS registers are smart enough to get the balance on an Amex GC and drain it automatically - no need to have the cashier enter the amount. Just swipe one, repeat 5x, and use your CC of choice as the 7th card to pay the remaining balance. This also works for Amex prepaid rebate cards, although I haven't had any luck doing it with non-PINnable Visa rebate cards. Whether cashiers will allow you to pay with a GC that doesn't have your name on it is YMMV obviously.
Same for me. The DL swipe does not count against your 7 total. This only applies to payment methods. Someone in the CVS thread mentioned that this includes cash so you can't do 7 swipes and then expect to pay the remainder in cash.

@Lemma, in case you didn't know, like I didn't before a few months ago, you can actually just call the Amex number on the back of your card and have them refund you the amount for Amex prepaid rebate cards. They can either send you a check (15 biz days I think) or do an ACH transfer to your acct. (This takes about 8 biz days for me.)