FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:54 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
There seem to be very few here who get that United needs a spectrum of customers and cannot prosper catering to the 2%, but you and I are two of them.
Yeah I don't really get the bashing of non-1Ks here. Those Golds and Silvers are just as important as the 1Ks and PPs. If you can't attract mid-tier flyers you can't fill a plane.

Originally Posted by CMK10
You keep repeating that about Delta but you fail to realize that the reason they are making money has little, if anything, to do with their FFP. Skymiles is considered among the worst frequent flyer programs and Delta makes money despite it not because of it.

If Untied was doing this along with investing in their product things would be different but they aren't. They taking on planes like the E75 with no Wifi, cutting capacity in places like LAX and CLE and retrofitting existing aircraft to be more uncomfortable in coach. There are fewer and fewer reasons to fly UA and more and more reasons to fly other airlines.
Bingo. All things being equal in the FFP between DL and UA, I'd choose DL everyday. Newer planes, WiFi on almost every plane (that I can buy a GoGo all-airline pass and use when I fly on AS or AA as opposed to UA's which requires yet another different subscription)

UA's FFP was the thing that kept people in spite of the other deficiencies. These changes just push people who have a choice of airlines to other airlines that offer a better product such as AA, DL, and B6.