FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA system blocks my credit card
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:36 am
mtdd

Programs: MUCCI
BA system -indirectly - blocks my credit card

Has the following happened to others here? If so, do you feel that BA has the right to do such things without informing passengers? I quote below the complaint I have just sent to BAEC:

"At 8.40am on June 10, 2014, I executed online check-in as I have done many times before, without incident, and printed my boarding pass as usual. Not more than 2 minutes later I received an SMS from my credit card provider to advise me that USD1 had been deducted from my account by British Airways. Not understanding that this was a type of credit check performed by BA, I contacted the credit card company, who immediately blocked the card. They have said they will issue a new one, but of course this means that I shall not have access to it during my forthcoming trip back home to the UK.

I have to advise you that I am gobsmacked, and I use the word advisedly, that BA permits itself to deduct even ONE DOLLAR from passengers' accounts without foundation, and without advising the passenger that this may be done for security purposes. It is possible that I may be able to get the card unblocked before travelling tomorrow morning - but it is equally likely that I will not. In which case, I do hold the airline responsible for considerable inconvenience. Please treat this matter with utmost urgency."

Last edited by mtdd; Jun 10, 2014 at 12:55 am Reason: Clarification