FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another month another strike! (30 May 2014) (16 & 18 June called off)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:27 pm
CDTraveler

I just found out about the potential strike for June 18, the day we are booked to fly JFK-SNN-BHX. As I understand it, the strike would effect the transatlantic flight only, but the SNN-BHX flight isn't really relevant if we miss the first one.

How much notice would the airline give of cancellations or rebookings? If they rebook us to a different carrier, is it possible/likely I could get them to rebook out of a different airport, one closer to my home than JFK?

And if the airline cancels the flight due to a labor dispute, do they have any obligation to the pax other than a full refund of the airfare? I'm thinking of those prepaid hotel stays and attraction tickets I bought, and wondering how much I'm going to lose on those. I did purchase the Allianz trip insurance offered with the ticket, but it isn't clear on what they cover in the case of trip cancellation due to strikes.

Also, would an Are Lingus strike be subject to EU or US compensation rules for a trip booked out of the US?