FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO to LAX/BUR (MileagePlus or via another carrier (like Aegean) to obtain * Gold)?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:09 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by splatkid10
Kacee - any other details you could provide for your reasoning would be appreciated.
What other flying are you considering? For those of us who are doing heavy miles on UA, status is essential. But if you're talking about handful of trips a year, I just don't see much benefit to being Gold. Or at least not enough to outweigh the pain of flying UA between the bay area and SoCal.

Just wait until you experience UA's rolling delays resulting in cancellation five hours later and a rebooking the next day. You will then start to understand why WN dominates these routes.

If I'm traveling on business to SoCal, and my employer is willing to pay for anytime or business select on WN, I do not even consider UA. I want to get where I'm going on time and without hassle. If my meeting or deposition ends early, I want the flexibility of just showing up at the airport and switching to an earlier flight (or even switching to another airport) without paying a $200 change fee. I don't want to deal with surly UA employees who hate their jobs. Or with the rugby scrum of UA boarding, particularly if I'm carrying on. This is so not a close call it's not even funny.