FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Considering Moving from AS to UA
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:52 am
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by timfountain
I'm a 2.5+ MM BIS with AA and when I moved from AUS to PDX I switched to UA as AA service out of the PNW was poor; I don't want to go through DFW to connect from PDX to LAX (Ok a stretch but....).

Fast forward 4 years and the situation is very different. I will be moving my business back to AA+US/AS in FY (Flying Year) 2015 as the combination of those 3 for me gives me many more options with more direct flights on mainline aircraft. UA is in full retreat from PDX and I would seriously advise against choosing UA based on recent announcements.

My flying is primarily domestic, west of the Rockies and all in Y. F & Long-Haul fliers might have a different perspective. UA upgrades are about as rare as a blue moon (for a Plat) and generally, the cabin and ground staff can be pretty abrasive, with a few notable exceptions. Connecting through SFO is really painful due to climatological and capacity issues. I consistently leave 3+ hours for an SFO connection and regularly mis-connect even with that kind of buffer.

Thank you for the time and information. I think that my decision will wait until later this summer when AA unveils it's consolidated Air Pass along with it's FF.

And yes I am also hearing that UA is pulling back from here ( PDX).

Question is AA or AS your program of "record" for 2015