FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated]
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:25 am
Uh Clem

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by DCAAA
I currently spend over $150k a year on my credit cards. I typically break it down in this way:

$50k on Barclays US Airways MC
$75k on SPG AMEX
$25k on Capital One 2% cashback Visa

Barclays is basically killing its card (at least, all the good benefits) so I am looking to replace that spending elsewhere. I could shift it all to my SPG Amex. My Capital One card has a bizarrely low limit though, so $25k is about the max I can put on it in a year.

I am open to ditching all 3 cards and shifting all my expenses elsewhere if there's a particularly valuable card for people spending that much. I have no preference for points vs. dollars, just trying to get the most bang for the buck. My preferred airport is DCA and I mostly travel to the west coast (SFO and LAS), Florida, and the Caribbean. I have high status on US Airways but also as part of the merger, may be giving that up for other airlines -- all of which may be relevant for potential airline card tie-ins. (Basically, I'm a free agent -- what should I do)?
I would keep the SPG AMEX and if you're a business owner, check out the Chase INK card. You can transfer your points 1 to 1 for airline and hotel programs plus they give you five points for every dollar spent for cell phone, cable and office supply stores. With the office supply stores, you can purchase gift cards to use on non office supply purchases. Last month I purchased $1,000 worth of Home Depot gift cards from OfficeMax that got me 5k in points instead of the 1k in points that I would have received had I charged the order using my card at Home Depot. You can go online to Staples and OfficeMax and see what gift cards they carry.