FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:03 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by htb
But individuals have no possibility to "check out the codes" other than trying to sign up form them to see if they are accepted. And don't tell me that anything else would happen if you'd call the callcenter: they'd input the code and tell you if it was accepted.

HTB.
'head buried in the sand' comment from you on this subject. Why do so many people have a totally unjustified feeling of entitlement to freebies. Yes you are welcome to try codes, but don't scream at IHG for something that is a calculated risk decision to use a code not directly provided.

1. if code was not provided directly first hand to you by IHG or an IHG branded hotel, then one can have absolutely no expectation whatsoever that you are entitled to use that code.

2. and yes you can check out if you are allowed to use code, you simply ring/email IHG helpdesk .... OH WAIT , you know the answer already to that question so you won't do that check !

3. you can opt to
a)use blogged codes you were not directly given, and take ownership of
said risk to your IHG account
b)decide to play safe and first ask IHG for permission to use each code
c)be happy with the normal IHG points earning opportunities and the low ratio of stays/nights to free award nights needed.

That said I agree historically IHG were happy for IHGers to sign for all known codes, I just think too many people are opening multiple accounts to stay one night, grab 25-30K bonus points, and redeem against PB's.

I would think IHG IT software is now checking for duplicate accounts, comparing names/addresses/CC's of all accounts against other accounts, possibly checking just non/low profit accounts initially. IHG may further decide to increase checks of registered addresses in countries where such abuse is more frequent, eg apparrently China at start of April PB's.

Should be easy to see if an IHG account books PB's at different hotels for the same night(s) and occupies both rooms. A few such instances may be valid bookings, but the majority not.