FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MO Purchases using OV @ WM
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:49 pm
TheDapperDon

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ronnyk
For what it is worth (given that people's experiences seem to vary based upon the individual CSR), I went to a WM near my office at lunch time today, where I have previously had no issue with getting two $1K MOs using four swipes and $1.40 in cash. When I told the CSR-- whom I didn't recognize-- that I wanted to pay with four debit swipes, each $500, she hesitated, asked to see the card (I showed her one OV) and then told me she needed to get approval. She also mentioned having had a "training unit" about two weeks ago where the subject of debit cards came up. I didn't get the sense the register was stopping her and I had been at this store just last week without an issue. Her manager came, took a look and then mentioned she would need to talk with someone else who was somewhere else in the store. I waited five somewhat uncomfortable minutes, before telling her to void the transaction and help another customer who had arrived. I then proceeded to the (now working) Kate and purchased four $499.30 MOs without any issue.

Again, not sure what to make of this, and whether this is a MO policy (or any policy at all, for that matter). I have had issues at this store before with people not knowing how to do BP, so I don't know if a BP request would have triggered the same response. I plan on stopping by my local WM on the way home to do another $2K in BP, so I'll see if there is any indication at that location if a change is in the wind.
Best to show a regular debit card whenever possible. Sigh.