FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reasonable corporate travel policy
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:31 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Much of the above can be accomplished by a short conversation. Are your junior people experienced and have they been to Asia before? Do they need a chat about what is reasonable?

<snip>

If you do this right, you can make this a positive, not a negative.
Yes, we've absolutely had the discussion and they know what we consider reasonable. No one's trying to make this a negative at all, just not sure if it's reasonable or not to consider sitting in planes and airports for 24 hours "working". If it were me, and it took me say Wednesday and Thursday to get to Asia, I'm getting paid for the 16 working hours and wouldn't charge the other 8 as overtime. But that's me. I really don't know if it's reasonable to ask junior employees to do the same or if it's prudent to establish a hard-and-fast rule. From some of the replies, it looks like this is probably a legal issue for which I should seek more than just FT advice

One of the junior employees is Asian and knows the area quite well having visited family often in the past.

Originally Posted by CMH1k
$100 a day for food, $250 US lodging ($350 for NY, Chicago, LA), $400 Europe, $500 Asia, allow room service and movie, no overtime for salaried employees, let them book their own flights– they know their schedules best, allow business class on overseas flights, buy them lounge access for a year (their choice).

It's not worth nickel and diming employees, they will just turn on you.

If you're a service business with billable hours, inform your clients of your policies and bill it through to them,
Totally agree about the nickel and dining. Unfortunately, we're not a service business will billable hours, so nothing's getting passed along to our clients.