FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:08 am
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
As for watches I kind of travel with my middle of the road models, not the most expensive and not the cheapest. Most of the time I take my watch off and put in my carry on, deep in a pocket where it's not subject to a "grab and run". One of my favorite travel watches is a dual zone titanium model and it used to set off the detector so I just got in the habit of taking it off. Typically we do that prep away from the security point, not so much that we don't want agents to see where we put stuff as it is to make getting through the checkpoint as painless and as quickly as possible. My wife's jewelry is about the same though typically she doesn't have to take any off to get through security. We travel quite a bit and watch our carry on very closely. I don't recall TSA or any other agent trying to access our carry on while it was on the belt or after it had come through the machine without us being right there. We've never had any security agent take our carry on away from the check point into a closed area out of our view.