FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:38 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Singapore to Christchurch (SIN-CHC) on Singapore Airlines 777-200ER in business class

I had a few hours in the first class lounge in between flights. Plenty of time to shower, have some drinks, run into friends and acquaintances. The 2 computers in the first class lounge were both in use when I wanted to use them so I slummed in the business class lounge business centre for a while.

Most times I've taken this particular flight the departure gate has been B8, which is as far from the lounge as you can get and still be in T3. Today we had a closer gate. There was a delay in boarding so that even though I left the lounge with just 20 minutes to departure boarding had only just commenced when I got through security.

On an otherwise full flight I had the one empty business class seat beside me. More space to spread out. Somehow I managed to keep awake through meal service and struggled to sleep despite the tiredness. I eventually fell asleep nearing the Australian west coast, and thus only got a few hours sleep and remained with a sleep deficit. On flights from Singapore to Christchurch I try to wake up over the Tasman Sea because the views of the Southern Alps for the approach into Christchurch are spectacular. Even when there is some / considerable cloud (which is typical) there usually are either peaks peeking above the clouds or clearer skies just to the east of the main divide.

Tailwinds were weaker than usual so we arrived slightly late. With a fast walk to immigration, use of smartgate and no checked bags to collect, I was first to customs and got the "testing the system" xray check. Low risk passengers (such as aussies and kiwis with no warning signs on their arrival cards) generally don't get their bags xrayed.

Incidentally, this route is one of the most unbalanced ones I have flown; in that I have only flown CHC-SIN once but SIN-CHC several times. This is mainly due to schedules, it can be difficult to get to CHC early enough to comfortably make the connection (and there is no margin for error for weather delays), whereas the AKL-SIN daytime flight leaves a few hours later (and there is also the redeye flight out of AKL).