FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:10 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon (HKG-ICN) on Asiana 747-400combi in business class (first class seat)

Transfer security at Hong Kong was busy but quick. Since I had a couple of hours until boarding I headed to the other end of the terminal to visit the Thai lounge before it closed, and afterwards used Asiana's contracted lounge - gate 16 / Dragonair lounge.

I had a shower in an attempt to stay awake and not miss my flight. It wasn't very pleasant as the shower room is small and overly humid and hot. I felt sleepier, and stickier, afterwards than if I'd had no shower at all.

So instead I had coffee, lots of coffee. That won't help me with sleeping on the red eye but first I had to make sure I actually caught the red eye flight.

There have been times when this flight has had first class sold, but not when I booked or flew this trip. Thus those in the know, and who book earlier enough, can select a first class seat before they are all taken.

Boarding was fast and we pushed back a little early, meaning we'd also have a very early arrival into ICN (which means a longer wait for transit desk to open so I can check in for my onward flights).

The coffee had done the job too well and so I opted for some drinks and nibbled the supper meal. Most passengers go straight to sleep and this flight, which I've flown several times, in my experience consistently has the fastest meal service after departure of any of the hundreds of routes I've flown. The food and drink comes out so quickly I can't help feeling that plating occurs while on the ground even though it cannot.

I think I managed about 20 minutes of dozing towards the end of the flight. Dang.