FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Family Hawaii Trip!
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:19 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I would not do this if you're only going to be there 8 days, otherwise, you're effectively losing a day of your trip in airports and airplanes just traveling intraisland. I would either go straight to Maui on the inbound(connecting briefly in HNL, presumably...) or only connect through HNL on the way home instead of stopping over there for a couple days.

By the time you pack up, check out of the hotel, return rental car/hop shuttle bus to the airport, check in, go through agriculture, check your bags, wait for the flight to board, take the flight, wait for your bags, wait for your rental car, drive to the hotel, spend an hour stuck on the Nimitz, check in, get situated, etc. - you're easily talking half a day lost right there. And you'll be doing that twice, once when you leave HNL the first time and then again when you leave Maui.

Yeah. I don't understand the appeal of going to Hawaii on a water and rice budget, but, to each their own I suppose. Vacation is supposed to be vacation. If you can't enjoy it when you're there, what's the point?
As the OP's trip was last month, I expect the advice is a bit late for him/her, but perhaps beneficial to others contemplating a similar trip.