FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old May 30, 2014, 10:13 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Johannesburg to Sao Paulo (JNB-GRU) on South African Airways A330-200 in business class

Transfer security was fairly quick despite a queue and once back airside I made my way to the lounge. I hadn't expected I would have enough time for a lounge visit due to the short transfer time and need to check in for the onward flights. I made the most of it to grab a shower, as the lounges at the next airport which I'd have access to didn't have showers according to my research. By the time I'd freshened up the flight was boarding and I had a moderate walk back to the far end of the terminal. At the gate entrance there was a visa check - I showed my onward itinerary to save time flicking through the passport for a visa that wasn't there.

This time the business cabin was almost empty - just a family travelling, the young kids giggling as they quickly moved to seats further away from mum and dad, and me. Great - I can grab a window seat to watch the view and still have a spare seat alongside. The not so great - service started off wonderfully attentive but mid-flight petered out while the cabin crew put gossip ahead of refilling glasses. Still, it was a very enjoyable flight in a comfy seat with good food & wine. My pattern of sleeping every second flight continued.

We landed quite early for no obvious reason. Presumably the schedule is padded to allow for the aircraft not being ready in time after arriving at Johannesburg from somewhere else early in the morning. Of course as we taxiied to the terminal I observed the many different North American and European airlines with aircraft parked up, having arrived earlier in the day and not returning until evening.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm